Wednesday, August 3, 2011

nicely done

I am having a mellow day inside my head. Not sad. Not unhappy. Just kind of there.


So the other day I received a text message from someone I didn't know, and it was the third or fourth time I have received a message like this. Let me recreate it for you:

Hi Emily! You don't know me, my name is                   . I am a Mary Kay consultant and friends with (someone I know; different every time). She said you were really nice and could help me out! I would like to give you a free facial, and I'll come to you! Etc, etc, accumulating in a 3-text-long message.

Why do people think I'm so wonderful that I would love to give every inexperienced peddler of over-priced beauty products direct access to my face? I have sat down with many MK reps in my time, and let me tell you a secret: I hate Mary Kay products as much as their parties. So while I do love to help people, this is where I draw the line. 

I'm not that nice.

General Update:

I had a dream last night that some boy became my boyfriend. And while the whole thing was bizarre (my dreams usually are) I am now left with phantom-boyfriend-hangover. You know, where you have all these fake but strong emotions in a dream and you still kind of feel them? And you miss someone who was never really there?

I read Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson this last week. I thought it started slow but I soon was hooked. I love his writing. He's turning me into a Fantasy-genre nerd. But mostly I'm just nerd for him.

I have to move in 2 1/2 weeks. Boooooooo. I hate moving.

I'm putting together a last activity for the RS and it's a big dinner thing that the guys are invited to. I love event planning.

I'm getting released in 2 Sundays. :(

25 days until school starts. 

30 Day movie challenge:

Day 4: A movie that makes you sad.

This is a toughie. If there is a movie where someone dies, someone might die, or someone has died or people have to say goodbye forever, it will make me cry. More often than not, like a little girl. So I have lots, for a million different reasons. I actually really enjoy movies that make me sad.
But I will go with...

Blood Diamond

I'm a major sucker for tragic stories about Africa. I think Africa is fascinating and horrifying and beautiful. I saw this on TV and thought it was amazing. It makes me sad to see the horrors people inflict on each other: genocide, families ripped apart, child soldiers, betrayal. All in the name of money. So that makes me sad. And it makes me sad to see what happens specifically to the characters. I don't want to spoil the ending but there is a major theme of redemption and sacrifice in this that is very bittersweet. The sadness of missed opportunity, of coming to terms with life and a place that has essentially been forsaken. Leonardo DiCaprio is fabulous, I love his character in this. Great cast, great story. And it breaks my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment